Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HW Community Private Server

we need one of these.

Ive been reading a few threads on planet wolfenstein, and the guys there have been saying that the private servers are so much better than the public ones, and really good for skills.

we have enough players in the HW community to set one up, and we can open it to the public if we wanna start playing as a team as well. it would be a good practice server as well.

Molle mentioned how he was gonna get RTCW for Guidestone, but we arent sure how the load will go with all the other stuff as well. I was also playin a bit with Event Horizon today & he said he could get one set up soon as well.

This would be great for us & also we might get good enough to form a team and enter some tourneys. danga kinda put the thought in my head, caus he was wanting to play some tourneys & stuff. The tourney scene is hardcore - I listened to a Vanguard (big time T2 clan) vs some other team on shoutcast last night and it was pretty cool. The tourneys are pretty big public events & sound like alot of fun. They even play commercials and stuff during map changes.

We also have a permanent teamsound server up on Guidestone, which most of us connect to when we play together. Come ask on irc for the IP, caus I dont want to post it publicly.

k who is in?

Im in if you'll have me (except for the teamsound =/)

BTW: I think it would be interesting to have a server with limited lives. Would make more people less careless and it would make the games a HELL of a lot more hectic

Comment

interesting idea, there were some guys on the wolf forums talking about a 3 life game, which would change the style of play for sure. id be concerned about panzerwhores & TKing though...

we were chatting about the sets, i im of the thinking that a 7 min two-play MP/SW map rotation would be good, with a swap team command at the end of each game. leave out CP except for trenchtoast & destruction (obviously), caus it is basically gay.

i suppose different times for different maps would be good - ie. longer for castle (caus its damn hard for allies) & a bit longer for base & assault as well.

bout a 15 second respawn is good, voting & FF on.

anyone got thoughts?

Comment

wooh00

Reki

All good stuff!

A few thoughts on the settings. Might need longer than 7 mins for te objectives games - I would vote for 10 as a first pass. Depot for example when you get more than 6 per side would be very difficult.

A related issue is whether or not you want to limit the number of players. I dont suggest any more than 16.

Thanks for taking the time to start the forum, and the server.
        Shoot first - argue on the forums later

Comment

If its gonna be a private server, then we should'nt have to worry about tk'ers in a 3 life ff on game. Panzerwhores would be a factor tho, but hey, every game has its risks. I dont know if this is an option, but can you disable the use of a panzerfaust? If you can, you got a solution right there.

Im kinda with reaps about the 16 player limit. Some of us dont have cable or DSL and it wouldn't be nice to have us unable to play on this server. I think a 20 player limit would be fair.

BTW: I say that we should autoban people with name change scripts. They REALLY piss me off, I came up against this guy who's name was like a damn movie and I disconnected right then and there. At least give them some time to change their name to something more permanent =/

Comment

I've talked to my friend and he said hosting may be as much as $40 a month depending on bandwidth usage. When I get the server setup we're going to run a few test on it for a couple of nights to see what the bandwidth useage is to determine the price. What I really need to know is, how many total players are we going to have on this server at any given time? If it is around 40 a month, it would be cool if you guys could donte some money through paypal a month to help keep it going.
            As for the server it will be based on linux most likely due to security reason. Let me know what you guys think, Thanks!

Comment

A private server would own , 16 - 20 ppl max is a good number to have, not to many ppl n not to few. About the time limit, 10 mins would be a good time set for most of the maps, but some would have to be longer simply because they are so big.

3 lives would be a good number to have for the server or have it like rs, 1 life per game. On the part of tking, its going to happen no matter what if u have ff on, cause of air strikes n artillary bombardment, or some other reason.
              "Enemies can be your weapons or your shield. Simply show them which they are."-The Teachings of Zho

Comment

$40/month?

heh.. im thinkin GS might be a better option.

Comment

I'm going to try to talk him down in price, so we'll see. They did tell me that 16 ppl on a game server uses almost a full T1 and they only have two T1's going to their office. I should be able to get an idea of the cost by the end of the week.

Comment

Event they are full of crap. I have 1.5mb DSL and i can run a tribes or tribes 2 server with 16ppl no problem.
                    "Enemies can be your weapons or your shield. Simply show them which they are."-The Teachings of Zho

Comment

yeah, he said thats what it used to take to run a Half-Life server, but he didn't know what a RTWC server would need. so I'm hoping it will be cheaper!

Comment

is this game like counter-strike?????????

laf
                        laf
                        laf

Comment

Originally posted by Quar
                          Event they are full of crap. I have 1.5mb DSL and i can run a tribes or tribes 2 server with 16ppl no problem.
                          uh, that is a t1
                          same speed anyway

Comment

Any progress on this?

Comment

Guess not... would be cool if there was.

Comment

Working...
                              X