Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help frst evaluate new computer parts

hi.

I'm trading up by selling my old computer (tower only) for $600 usd and then purchasing new shit. I'm not going for rapist, I'm going for fast-very fast. please tell me your thoughts and give me a recommendation on video cards, as that is the only thing I haven't decided on at all. Please let me know if you see any compatability issues, as I've not built a computer in about 3 years.

I'm good with the monitor (21" Viewsonic professional CRT), wi-fi, keyboard (g-15), mouse (g5), surround (logitech 550w THX 5.1), and added storage (WD 250gb USB 2.0 external) that i already have and am keeping.

The rest is as follows:

($1235 as is (-$600))

OS - Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition (Full Version) Single-Pack OEM ***Free Shipping***
    Price: $140.00 (must get at zip zoom fly)

cpu - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core Processor
    (2.4GHz, 4MB, 1066MHz FSB, LGA 775 - MPN: BX80557E6600)
    Price Range: $310.00 zip zoom fly | First 200 customers only - Buy this product and get a Free Artec T14A USB Digital TV Tuner ($60 value)! Use code BFF900 at checkout. Limit one per customer. While supplies last.

mobo - Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Motherboard
    (Core 2 Duo/ Pentium D/ Pentium 4/ Celeron, LGA775, P965 Express, ATX, 8GB DDR2, 1066GHz FSB - MPN: P5BDELUXEWIFIAP)
    Price Range: $186.00 zip zoom fly

memory - Corsair 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 DIMM Memory Kit
    (MPN: TWIN2X20486400C4)
    Price Range: $296.00 zip zoom fly

video card -

case - Antec TX1050B Performance TX Black Tower
    (ATX/mATX, 10 Bays, 500W - MPN: TX1050B)
    Price Range: $133.00 zip zoom fly
    - 1 x 120mm TriCool (Standard)
    - 1 x 80mm (Optional) front Coolermaster TLF-S82-EB Neon LED Fan 80mm $12.00
    - 1 x 80mm (Optional) HDD Coolermaster TLF-S82-EB Neon LED Fan 80mm $12.00
    - 1 x 92mm (Optional) CPU duct Antec TriCool 92mm 3-Speed Double Ball Bearing Case Fan Retail $14.00
    - 1 x 80mm (Optional) VGA Coolermaster TLF-S82-EB Neon LED Fan 80mm $12.00

hard drive - WD Caviar SE16 250GB Hard Drive
    (Serial ATA II, 7,200RPM, 16MB - MPN: WD2500KS)
    Price Range: $78.00 zip zoom fly

dvd/rd drive - Pioneer DVR-111D 16X Dual Layer DVD±RW Drive (Black) ***Free Shipping***
    Price Range: $40.00 zip zoom fly

OK HAVE FUN THX

A quick comment. AGPx8 or Expressx16 are the graphics slots to have in the system. Exactly which card I would go for in that slot I will need to do more research.

On the OS however, I have been thinking of getting a new box as well. But I am VERY tempeted to wait for Windows Vista. Which should be in Janurary (I think). Windows XP is on the outs and Direct X 10 will NOT be on Windows XP. You might also want to be sure the graphics card can(will) support Dx10.
    To live is to game - in some way

Comment

yea, thought about that...

the new geforce 8800 is a dx10 card and it just came out. it starts at around 450...

I never jump right on new OS though, i usually wait 6-8 months.

that means I'm pondering getting a mid range card as a placematt in case i feel i have to go to vista and get a dx10 card stat.

Comment

I'm with CptUnreal, IMO pirate XP and buy vista when that is released soon.

It is WAY better. It's been put through the security grill already and is far superior than XP even though it's new.

Comment

pirating xp is no good anymore. it takes some serious shit to get past their security and get the updates i need to be safe.

i'm concerned about the hardware, i will pay the extra 140 to feel safe with a legit OS

Comment

not true about the "serious shit" frst, i can help you out with that rather easily
            "All men are created equal, it's just that some are more equal than others"

Comment

Originally posted by Phaeton
              not true about the "serious shit" frst, i can help you out with that rather easily
              i can hear the "darth vader" theme playing in the background as the MicroSoft storm troopers start to gather around your home...

Comment

Frst, you don't need to use the validation stuff to get critical and security updates, MS releases them even to pirated windows copies because it makes everyone safer (including those with valid copies).

Vista will probably be expensive though, but if you're worried enough about security which it seems you are, you'll need to buy it, so I reckon save yourself some extra $$$ for a couple months then fork it out for vista.

Comment

defender, windows media player, and several important drivers that i have needed for my system have required validation that took lots of arm twisting through several different hacks, time wasted, and frusteration.

Comment

if you're looking at a mid-range card to tide over 8 months, i'd recommend a nvidia 512meg card, probably the 7950gt as it isnt that expensive. of course you could always go sli and stick the 8800 in when you get it and all.

Comment

Don't you have a copy of XP from your old computer? FYI, you can't resell you license legally in US, so just hang on to it for your new box... unless you never had one. (In the UK you can sell your licence on fine).

Validation has never been a problem for me though...
                      RogerWilco: I'm the anal Dane!

Comment

the current copy of xp is not a legal copy and it took so much dick sucking to make it work through the years (3) that i've had it installed

Comment

well thanks to the new validation software it all got a lot easier... funny how things work out.
                          RogerWilco: I'm the anal Dane!

Comment

frstk, u know that I love you!!! I've been doing some reading on vista, think it will suk at first. Think you're correct on waiting. Do look into what will run on what os before purching! As far blowjobs go, I'd be next inline for your sevices, and I would be happy ( If youre as good as you say ) to help you dig through the specs.

Comment

as for graphics card, go for ati, - i know alot of you now think "omg stupid F***", but i got me a x1900xtx, and it delivers what u want, if u want that extra speed go for the x1950xtx, and if u really wants to go overboard go for the crossfore solution, i know ati has similar product, i just like the features and picture qualite alot more then the nvidia junk.

Comment

Working...
                              X