CD Drive Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Drive Problem

When I got the system I could just drop in a CD and the menu will pop up, Now I have to go thru "my computer" to kick start a CD.

Anybody know why/how this happened?

Griff - go into control panel > system> device manager > CD-ROM > clik on ur cd-drive > properties > settings tab

make sure your "auto insert notification" box is checked. This is the autoplay feature for CD-Drives...

Comment

I looked and they are checked

Comment

Does it do this with all CD's or just certain ones Griff? Some CD's don't support the auto run feature.

Comment

All now, HW used to pop up "start game" before, now it doesnt.
          The same for HW:C and my other games too. Even music CDs would start up. Could it be one of the things I disabled in the startup menu?

This are the only things on in startup menu right now:
          1. ScanRegistry
          2. System Tray
          3. LoadPowerProfile
          4. PowerReg Scheduler
          5. devldr16.exe - dont know where this came from(I hope its not a virus or worm or trojan horse)
          Last edited by GriffinSLS; 09-29-2002, 11:40.

Comment

It seem that once one thing goes wrong other problems will soon follow. Now the drive wont even see some of my CDs. This comp has been running 2 yrs now - you guys think its time to reformat the HD? I dont think the CDs or the drives are the problem, it must be something else. Yep its something else, just now while im typing this the cursor jumps from one end of the screen to another. Reformat? a speedy reply would be most welcome.

Comment

Griff - if you OS is over 2 years old then it's definately time for a re-install. All sorts of stuff gets fouled up and corrupted over time, especially if your gaming.

I format and reinstall at least every six months.

BTW, a good tip - after you've done a fresh install, loaded up all ur drivers and updated windows, it's a good idea to make a complete image copy of your windows install onto CD-ROM.

Having done that, if your comp gets infected for fuxors up bigtime, it's just a matter of copying the image over the fouled OS and you've just saved urself quite a few hours work.

Comment

BTW, a good tip - after you've done a fresh install, loaded up all ur drivers and updated windows, it's a good idea to make a complete image copy of your windows install onto CD-ROM.
                How do I go about doing that? Maybe I should make copies of irc and some of the stuffs that took me hrs to d/l too.

Comment

well - ur windows OS will be installed onto your C drive, it's then a matter of using drive image software to back-up C:/ onto CD-Rom.

Here's an article that outlines PowerQuest's Drive Image 2002 and the process of backing up ur OS...

LINK

Comment

kewl

Thanks Meth

Comment

Working...
                    X