are we all n00bs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are we all n00bs?

I got to thinking (while playing a n00b on talas), what happens if I start to play a new game? eg AOE, which i've never played online before. Do any of the skills and knowledge that i've picked up in one game stop me from being a total n00b in another game?
    Or do we all go through a n00b phase with a new game?

I dont mean lack of skill with the game commands, i mean with the stategy of the game. Its obvious that in a new game u will be fumbling for the right key or mouse menu, where an experienced player will find the command key with his eyes shut. Do u lot know what i'm getting at?

DECUS ET TUTAMEN
    DECUS ET TUTAMEN

hey magpie, hello everyone. my once a month stopage to check you guys out.
    I think, that no matter what game it is, there will always be some things you dont know about. Some little trick that can be done to give you the edge. Thus, making you a noobie. A person with a stategic mind will always do good playing a strategy game. I suck at puzzles, but I'll give you a run for your money on any strategy game after i get my feet wet with it. So, to keep a long answer short, yes, there will be some form of noobie in all of us. I mean, look at frstkor, he's just a noobie at everything man.
    Laterz guys..

Comment

I think if ur good at one game, ur likely to pick up a similar game faster. the more the game resembles a game that you played before the faster you'll pick it up i guess. although i guess everyone has a newb phase, i beleive it can be shortened considerably if you have general gaming experience. i guess its a matter of talent, adaptability and learning ability.

Comment

most times new games will make you act like a noob, until you get to learn the game a bit. But as far as thinking along the lines of strategies, you'll pick it up rather quickly once you familiarize yourself with the different units. i play AOE Conquerors all the time here on LAN. then we jumped to Empire Earth, the resuts were pretty much the same. the players that excelled in AOE were more dominant in EE. it's really just a matter of finding what works well against what. then you'll own.
        "All men are created equal, it's just that some are more equal than others"

Comment

everyone is a newbie compared to someone else in some way. ppl who don't know how to play the game are of course newbies, people who don't know how to play talas 1v1 skilled of course could be newbies to some. skilled players who have been playing hw half as long as others could be newbies. being a newbie, isn't just about skill i think. it's about how long you've been around, with glicko points on how good you are at the game.

take eve online for example, everyone posting on the forums is a newbie, even the ppl who have been posting on the forums for a year and a half. yea there are different opinions or what is a newbie and what isnt i guess.

Comment

Good question Magpie. I think we are all newbies to some extent. If you compare what you HAVE learned in Homeworld and what you MUST learn in your chosen game you will quickly realise you have to get up to speed in that game too.

Just because you are good in one game doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be great in the next game. You will however have a better understanding about resource management, troop deployment, when to strike, when to passe etc.

I have been playing alot of Cossacks, in my opinion it's one of the great strategy games on the market. It truly requires great skills, skills that you need to learn. Cossacks is like the Battle of Waterloo, it uses cannons, mounted troops, infantry as well as economic/territorial infustrusture.

ANyway to make a long story short, game skills from one game type to another only teaches you basic concepts, it doesn't make you great but you are more likely to pick the game up much faster than someone who just started out online.

I hope this helped?

Comment

Talent, adaptability and learning! Maybe thats what im missing in playin RTCW! lol
              Dont think playin Homeworld helps with FPS games, or with Cossacks or with AoE or or ... anything really!
              I spose the general basics like resourcing and research are common to most strat games, but games like Unreal and Quake I dont think l33t skills transfer from Homeworld

Spider

Comment

Yes we all will b always noobs, cause is always coming new games.

But afther playing long time in strategy games, you will improve quicker than other ppl in new games.

Comment

Working...
                X