Your Defining Moments In HW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Defining Moments In HW

OK Guys and Gals, here a chance to relive the mements when you totally kicked ass and felt on top of Homeworld. Let's hear about YOUR DEFINING MOMENT !

I wish I could recall all the details but .... here goes Metho's Defining Moment....

One of the Chikens, Nem I think, was charged up over a pair of SLS's who were boasting on WON this day that they were undefeated for the night. Nem was one of their victims. Nem wanted their blood real bad so he asked me to be his ally in a chance game for revenge.

We played Plex 2 vs 2. The SLS's looked to be going the standard one corv/swarms the other capping. Nem chose to swarm in true Chook style and I wanted a mid game RU boost, so I went 5/2 and 3 research, going for caps (this was back in my Taiidan only days).

I knew that in order to get the upper hand on the SLS's we'd have to rush em. Nem built up an excellent 7:30 min swarm and we charged one of the SLS's ( both SLS were top notch players, not intermediates).

Prolly after the 5th projectile fired NEM DROPPS FROM THE GAME !!!

I had just done my best harv op on Plex to date, so I was not about to restart the game - " Lets Rok boys, Metho VS 2 SLS", I said.

The three research allowed me the edge to get out Fields and a graw in short time. The ensuing battle saw the SLS swarmer paralised and anything the capper came in with that could damage a field was blasted away.

I went on to own both SLS that game and upon returning to WON, Nem whispers "fuckit, I crashed - was it bad ?"...

"Nope, we won" I reply. Nem hit the farking roof and shouted a volley of "suck eggs SLS" into the WON chat room

mm i know mine....

At the time i had lost 6+ striaght to slope on the ladder, he was #1 at the time and I was i think 3rd at the time. That week i started to become fusterate becaues i couldn't find a way to beat him. Then one day we played, me with my head down saying to my self "ill do change up, but it wont beat his change up, oh well".
    This game was on talas, both played good, he let me build to many assults i think as i killed off his assults, and before i knew it i had the advantage. Then the words came from him "gg" . i felt so much relief and what luck it took for me to win.

The very next day we played again, on subjugate this time. I didnt know at all what he was doing but i just did a diff strat (swarm to caps) . It was a damn close one going to the end, then bleh, a sync. It was too close to call it.

Then next day after that we played again same strat by both of us. I attack his cont early but didnt kill it. I kept his vettes away and was attacking his injured cont wait 2 assult. Finally i destroyed it. But he had a strong swarm in the making - although his reserch ship ran into my MS and he didnt get bombers. He somehow got my colls and he had 2 i think, as his sarwm grew my 3 assult 2 ions and 4 supps were dieing but still there. Took awhile but i made a grav - he played it well and avoided it and kamied a coll. HIs BB got a supp and a assult alhough my second grav finsihed the game. For the first time evar, this little stupid dream i had of being #1 came true.

Seeing my name at the top was great to see and almost like it was fake.

We played again on subjugate the next day. Same starts again althought this time i kill his cont early, though he still got my colls again and was another hard game even tho he was behind in RU. I did win and well i got to +5 1900, thats when i felt like i was at the top.

thanks slope for those games we played, was a great end to my HW career. i luv u k

o yes - the next day after that he beat me on subj and i never got it back.

rule
    Last edited by LordRule; 12-20-2001, 05:00.

Comment

There have been several games in which I have felt godlike. 2vs2 that turned into 1 vs 2. 2 vs 2 games that rocked. 1 vs 1 games that rocked. 3 vs 3 games that were awesome...I have played the ladder under various names, and at times, if I might say without being to boastful, was nearly unbeatable. My prime has since passed and I don't have the desire that I once had to win. My game as of now has serious flaws, so I'm not very competitive. I can still muster a better than average game against most top players but nothing that I once did.

There was this one time that Chewy was in the chat room bragging about his talas smarts and was making unsuccessful challenges in the room. I, with my smurf tag on said, "I'll play ya Chewy." He agreed and a very good game insued. Chewy was vanquished. When we returned to the lobby he was asked, "what happened Chewy?" and Chewy being the great guy that he is, replied, "he owned my ass."

I've had several great games that most won't remember as playing against me due to my smurfing. I'd have to say without a doubt that Molle gave me the best games I've ever had, whether he knew it or not.

As far as teammates go, Phaeton was and still is my greatest ally. We've won tons of games vs noobers and skilled alike. We are Blood Brothers, then and now. There were so many games we had, but one sticks out most of all. Anybody remember defenders on talas? It was a 2 vs 2 game.

I feel that I must elaborate on my smurfing some, just to clear things up a bit. My smurf names were

BloodCount : Phae and I thought up some names one night and came up with BloodCount and CountBlood. We were to be known as the Blood Brothers. We did major damage in the 2 vs 2 ranks. I carried the name onto the ladder and made the top 5 before growing tired of it.

Puddle : This was my next venture onto the ladder. I was considered by most as some dumb rookie and was taken lightly. I was told that my name was a wimp ladder name. I quickly fixed that problem and made it as high as #2 I believe. Again, I dropped from the ladder.

StarTsar: Smurfing again, made the top 15 then withdrew if I remember correctly. Played two tourney finals, one I know I lost to Molle.

Koog : This was the name I played under in jumpgate. I made my way back to Homeworld and again made a small mark on the ladder. Jason and I had many great games vs each other. PUNK!!

At this time I annouced my retirement that was short lived, but should have remained there.

HyperSpace Kid : Again, making a small impact on the ladder, but my skills are fading and my desire to advance has deminished. Not nearly competitive enough. Got as high as # 7 this time around, but no desire to play leaves me stranded and losing spots. I again depart. Great games, everyone, thnx.

I had one last venture but only a few know about this and it was short lived.

All in all, I'd say that I had great fun. I'm sorry if my smurfing has offended anyone. Thnx guys.

Comment

uhh

when 7th mercilessly beat the unholy shit out of {TWP}OF DOOM in a 4 on 4 in cata

apparently we cheated or something

Comment

my defining moment when was a 2v2 some time ago.

reki and Ghostguru put up a 2v2 for some reason, and TimeLord told me to join so i did. the map was talas, and i had pretty much no hope of winning(reki is reki, and ghost raped me real bad a few times in 2v2's on plex).

right after i queued my units, set the researchers to a task and sent the colls away i had someone call my cell phone which distracted me for a few mins, but luckily nothing decisive happened and i was back when the battle commenced. i had seen no sign of ghost yet, but reki was swarming Time's changeup, and his wall was beaten before i could get my own swarm to help.

Time somehow managed to hang onto his colls and frigs, while my swarm and Time's scouts were taking on reki and scouts ghost sent over. as soon as reki was weakened(my swarm had gained an upper hand because reki's corvs were being killed at a constant rate by Time's frigs), Time sicked his frigs onto rekis colls and i saw something funny.

a probe revealed ghost had sent a large corvwall to help out reki, but it would've come too late so it was fleeing back to kill my colls. my swarm went there and raped the wall real good thanks to the fact a quarter of it was gone with the first pass of my swarm. the rest of the wall followed soon thereafter, which left me with few fighters but a reasonable number of light corvs left over, which i used to slowly kill off ghosts resource op and the opposition he sent.

meanwhile Time was assembling a large fleet of frigs and was rapidly disposing reki's units and in the end his MS. Ghost hung on a little longer, but i switched to frigs and stuck it to him with Time joining in a little later.

THAT game made me feel good.

Comment

wellllll.... 1v1... no defining moment.

2v2... cant say I have felt like I was a top notch homeworld player yet. But, I have had some great ones.

2v2, me and magpie vs lex and... and... DAMN I FORGOT WHO IT WAS. MAG HELP ME. on subjugate. [edit] I remember now. It was Smaxel [/edit]

I did a field frig rush while mag did a changeup I beleive. I dont remember and I didnt record. After a long long long battle which both sides ran out of money, both sides had at least 5 support frigs and no rus left on the map, there was a tense firefight where EVENTUALLY me and mag came out on top after a prolonged firefight with tons of assaults, supports, the occasional salvette and dffs. It was a long battle, but at the end of it, my hands were shaking and I was felt like on top of the world. Since then, Lex has called me SirMurphRAM.... think you figure out why =/
            Last edited by Murph; 01-01-2002, 01:05.

Comment

cool thread meth

defining moments. moments where forever afterwards you are changed. not necc times when you overcome your adversary(pearl harbor). perhaps times when all odds are against you. times when you achieve something that you have not been able to achieve before?

in the past 20 months I've had many moments like these where the odds were against myself or my team, but moments that changed everything after are more rare.

about 2 or 3 weeks after FL was formed, sometime in late may or early june 2000, there was this team ladder thing. there werent many people on it, I think a couple SLS, maybe CK, BoB, FL, and BM. I was still pretty new and all I knew was that for some reason everyone feared these BM weaklings or something. They were all secret badasses or something. RIP and Keeper were both on won and were wanting a team ladder. so mags and I made one up and we did it on moonbase. FL vs BM at this time was like, haha yea right. gg ur ded FL. now to be honest I can't remember much from the game because I was so anxious but I remember that at that time mags and I's favorite thing was for mags to whip out lots of smaller stuff, and me to g-line for tons of SF and missile destroyers and ions. Well we played shitloads of moonbase 2v2 and gotten pretty good at it, now was the test. somehow it worked well, as soon as I started whipping out missile d's and ions it was game. i remember keeps was about ready to bust a cap losing to 2 (what he must have thought at the time) unknown newbies but rip just said, no worries, gg FL.

i dont think mags cared at all cause, well, mag doesnt really care, but... from that point on I knew that FL was going to the top. not the top of the team ladder (it was ded shortly after), but to the top. like SLS or guru or BM or OMO. i knew that we could learn to play smaller maps as well since moonbase is actually smaller than talas and the battles start sooner.

my next definiing moment was personal. i think it was shortly after the 2v2 vs BM, it was right after Grumpy has been #1 for so long and retired from the ladder (but not really mr trikki BM). it was in the middle of the night and Grumpy and Aged had made a 2v2. OMO vs. Now I knew Grumpy cause I kept up with the ladder and I had watched his +32 win streak and long time #1 holding. he had no clue who I was. the game was on some map that I had never heard of, medium sized, good RU's. My ally was some newbie or half newbie or something. He got himself killed pretty quickly, or... at least Grumpy and Aged killed him pretty quickly and all the sudden it was 2vs1. I had Grumpy who was a badass #1 ladder player and Aged who could have probly beaten me in a 1v1 at the time on any map vs me. I gathered any RU's I coudl before I knew they would cut me off from them and brought my colls and conts home for retirement. i knew they both thought i was a newbie (and i still kinda was) so I worked this front by building cloaks and salvettes, miners. i also had a medium sized fleet of caps. they started to come at me and slowly made movements to surround me, i matched their movements with my cloaked salvs around the backside of my MS. once again I cant remember anything exactly this was well over a year ago... but somehow I did just the right moves to fend off the attack, steal some ships and kill them both.

I knew that if I could do that to a #1 player and his skilled ally in a 2vs1 situation, I could play ladder games with anyone.

ok one more defining thing and then i will stfu thx.

guru's game on talas scared everyone about a year and a half ago. in fact guru scared most everyone. skibb, chewy, evil, frisk, mouse, and a bunch of others who were just badasses. the first time that an FL team beat a guru team on talas was defining, we didn't just beat them, we owned them pretty hard. i dont remember who all was in the game, all i remember was that on my side it was me vs chewy.

chewy wouldn't play any FL vs games anymore. he just cussed at us alot and joined then left real quick.

Comment

hm.....

beating molle in a 1v1.

getting into the top 20.

getting into the top 10.

getting into the top 5.

getting in the ladder HoF.

beating ahab 1v1 (he used to own me alot when i was n00b)

i'v had some really good 2v2's and 3v3's, but none that made me feel as good as what i listed above.

I r lub choaocolate tehat are in my baed divorce the two wife is hard on bed tonight I bill aol which is 45$ and is hard for me. Plx plx halp me sombady i r chocalte and have divorxe mary 2 peple dat giv mariy me and kthxbi.

Comment

hmmmmmm

First of all Murph that game was on rad and it was me and xanion.

Then the game i really remember but still dont remember that well was the first time i managed to beat APOLLO in a 2v2.

It was a game on Iron APOLLO and Battlefox had a SLS vs 2 skilled up me and Crusty entered as an OMO team,i only remember it was one hell of a fight thrue the whole game with both sides having a slight edge but the last thing was when B-foxy came too close to my ms and frigs so that i could launch 4 salvs he killed one off but i managed to steal the dest he had and with one of my own coming out and Crusty still chasing the last coll on their side it was game over.

On my end this was a goal i had for a long time since i always saw APOLLO as unbeatable in teamgames aswell as 1v1 for me.

I have also had some great fights vs teams from both FL and SLS while in both OMO and SLS but i have to say that game was the one where i finally started to believe that everyone is beatable.

Comment

moments eh......

well, my personal moment in gaming is probably that few week when i was number 1, but on a larger scale, my true moment is that i was a Confederate Armada member, the moment where every CA shine and presented ourselfs to the rest of WON, Leader Zion (my personal trainer, luv u), Sabre, Sigma, Robb, Manwich (the best partner i ever had), D retrex (the whore that's still alive and about), Rattlehead, Gray, Parrot, Fotek, and lots of other dude, when we were all newbies in training, that was my favorite time of HW, everyone of us on B-com asking "what is RR?" omg.....i gotta cry....that's the moment i always thought of when i think about what have i done in HW

Comment

I'm away from my hw comp so I can't give an in depth account of my defining moments but maybe I'll come back and fill in the details in a few weeks.

My first defining moment was my first ladder game which was against teniente-kamel (not our kamel) on iron curtain. I'd been playing a lot of curtain 2vs2 and a few 1vs1 before joining the ladder and I just managed to beat him by holding off his wall long enough to get frigs and sf. He was all "gg but ladder is really supposed to be played on subjugate, how about we play there and report the result of that game instead?" He was in the top 10 and I stupidly agreed and of course got my arse handed to me but that win gave me the confidence to persevere through the long struggle up the ladder.

My second was beating Joe at the end of his winning streak just before he dropped. All through the streak I barely played him despite being top 5 for most of it, scared I suppose. At the time he had two ladder accounts and it was his smurf that I played. I sussed him after seeing his colours and the trademark 4/2 and we did a lot of posturing in chat. I did my usual def/corv and as we positioned he launched a pb at me and then typed his next message. Being the leet pb masta that I was () I dodged and gave him shit for trying it! I got positioning and saw him exposed and went in for the kill. The first battle was quickly over and I was surprised to see most of my fleet had survived and he was basically defenseless. This being Joe I knew he was going to have a strong second wave so I set to killing off his stuff while saying I knew he was Joe and that having duplicates was against the rules. He quit out with some excuses but I was over the moon, I had beaten the mighty Joe fair and square and dodged a pb as well. He never reported and shortly after that both accounts were dropped but along with beating Prey/RIP without pb for the first time it was the high point of my game.

OMG, almost forgot, this is one that reaps will remember, probe bombing madwasp off the ladder with the help of grumpy was pretty funny as well!

Comment

Great thread Metho!

Heh Mecha I remember that - Mad(GlickoObsession)Wasp was number 1 in the ladder but mostly disappeared for a MONTH, seen rarely sneaking on to play somebody ranked 100 to avoid losing rungs. I actually lurked on WON all weekend to catch him, and Mecha got him same weekend - we both nailed him and in his Case's comments he was comnplaining about the cheap tactics.......

My defining HW moments:

Feb 2000 - Playing Oni who was number 1 in the ladder when I was a n00b. I got all anxious 'cos I was playing the number 1 and I felt like I had to apologize after the game 'cos I only lasted about 10 mins, (Oni had it won from about 2 minutes). It was very motivating for me to see somebody who could play so well and that was when I determined to try to master the game. I had never really done online gaming and it hooked me, I was a HW junkie from then.

April 2000 - I struggled for a couple of months and made it to the high 'teens in the ladder then one day PreyOnU{pM} said to me "how would you like to join a secret clan with all ladder top 10 guys?" I said "I'm not top 10" :/ He said "You will be by the time the guys are through training you" and so I joined BM. They had a list of people they thought had potential and Toxic (RTB77 as he was back then) and I were two of the people they wanted to recruit and train. They were really trying to bring the best players together to learn from each other, and we were kinda their students. What was defining for me was that I went from being a medium skill player who watched recordings 20 times and couldn't see his mistakes to being immersed (by being around those guys) in the kind of in-depth game analysis that most of you take for granted now in labs and on the strategy forums. I was stuck up to that point - couldn't see my way forward 'cos I didn't know where I was going wrong. Then after labs with Prey and Hive I realised I knew next to nothing about the game and I had my direction - my learning curve went vertical learning about research order timed to the second, counting fighters and playing against a stopwatch, figuring out all the game stats, positioning and targeting - and then creating new strats from the ground up. It was like going from the minors to the major leagues and I got a whole new excitement from the game - back then I would sit and play HW for 18 hours straight :/ After a few days learning from those guys I went on WON and started beating top 10 guys - I remember Bingles DD was the first really good player I beat. I got a real rush winning games back then, it was intense. Ever since then I have tried to help anybody with their game who is interested - help from other players did so much for me.

May 2000 - my first tourney win - it was organized by MastaGuru I think and it went through 4 or 5 rounds with a different map for each round. In the final I played Grimm/Lucifer. Masta was spectating. The game was on subj and I kept probes on him from 2 mins onwards at all times. He swarmed and did his usual precise scout positioning a little ways back from the middle and started moving up the vettes ahead. His scouts were looking kinda tightly packed and I kami/scuttled a collector into them (learned it from Hive ;) ), nailed the lot and then loosed my defender/vette swarm on his vettes - it was over maybe 8 minutes into the game. I think he was too busy killing my probes back at the MS that he didnt see the collector charging into his scouts. After that I studied how to distract my opponents at critical moments during my gameplan. It was the first time I beat Grimm.

I had a lot of intense times in the ladders but it wasn't defining like those times above when I was on the learning curve in a big way. Its like Jason said. That phase of going from not knowing much to really learning the game is something you only get once and its kinda special.
                        Shoot first - argue on the forums later

Comment

ah...The good ol' days

My defining moments in HW like Reaps prolly came in the beggining. I remember jumping headfirst into HW and the ladder in the spring of 2000 as RTB77. I remember playing this guy named Grimm[co] who was #1 at the time, it was quite deflating. I was so determined to be one of the best I would refuse to play anyone that wasn't even in the top 20. I started my ladder life @ 0-15, mostly loosing to Grimm, Prey, Hive, and Belte.

After one of my early ladders w/ Belte, he asked me how long I had been playing, and when I told him a couple of months he was surprised I had picked up so much so quickly, so he told me he would take me under his wing, hence the day he became my daddy

It probably took a week of INTENSE training, but I finally got my first win (thanx to Belte) against #13 MasstaGuru. Heh, I beat him 4 times in a row to get in the top 20 lmao without beating another person. I was 5-16. It was prolly that same week that Gimm and DarkStar asked me to join [CO]. It was prolly about 2 weeks into our training when belte asked me to join BM, and the rest as they say is history

The transformation from newbie to a skilled player is quite a rush. The more you learn in the beggining, the more you get hooked. Despite never getting #1, I was #2 as 4 diff players, (NeoBM, NeoSLS, RazeNBK, ToxicNBK) heh and for some reason I always had to quit. I think thats prolly 1 of the things that keeps me striving on the ladder. I've had a ton of fun on the ladder and in this game, and met a ton of cool ppl. LONG LIVE HW

See ya lata's

Toxic

Comment

Gads some of you guys have had it easy. I haven't experienced a 'rush' to advanced level - nor any definate 'transition'. For me the whole thing was a gradual process, bit by bit. Pieces of 'training' were taken from qwik chats with advanced players, FLabs and the relic boards.

To this day I still recon I'm missing a few simple tricks that separate the good from the great players. Hmmm, I feel another trip into the recordings library commin up...

Great stories guys - the rest of you, cough em up !! Here's ur chance to blow ur own whistle and not get chastised for it.

Comment

my story is boring but pretty much goes the way meth's last post says.
                              the night i opened up the box i played my first game online and i got owned bad, of course. i played maybe two more games that night and realized multiplayer wasn't anything like the computer in the demo i'd been playing for about a year. I knew that there were walkthrough type things out there so i went to excite.com and did a search for Homeworld. like the third thing on the list was Relicnews.com. and made my way to the message boards from there.
                              i read them for a month before i ever registered. i kept seeing things people talk about swarm. every thread had something about this "swarm" in it. and all i knew is what kept killing me was a bunch of little ships all "swarming" together. so figured that was the way to go. I learned not to build 80 collectors and 90 research ships from relic and most of the basics i know from my pre-registered days.
                              in feb 2001 i finally registered with the name Burnt-Banshee. I made my first post ever. I asked for details on how to swarm on talas. it was my fav map at that time too. I got awesome responses like "build lots of ships" and "attack early"... well i pretty much knew that much... I kinda worked out my own strat in which i used 2 research ships, 4 collectors and a controller, then research inters / bombers / caps / caps, with tons of support.
                              it worked for a while. It was a newbie killer on any map so i think i moved to the lower part of the "intermediate skill level" at that point. Mazer was a regular on relic at this time so i finally got the courage to ask him for a training game one time on WON. I used that "almost-a-swarm" strat and made it throught the first battle with a lot of kami and a little supp scuttling. the game lasted for over two hours literally, and ended in a draw. niether of us had anything else left. I was amazed with my self at that point. i gave Mazerguru a good game.
                              i stuck with that strat for a bit and even went as far to spell the entire thing out in perfect detail on relic to get advice on it. no responses =[
                              my next big game was vs a Kalessin smurf. I won with two very well placed/timed supp scuttles. pissed him the f off lol (hi kal )
                              oh yeah i was smurfing too but he guessed me from reading my strat on relic... (so why didn't you respond fag?) now i went back to relic and said my strat had been winning quite a bit and i started to get responses. but not enough for me to really understand stuff. no one ever told me to build corvettes =[
                              the biggest moment in HW for me came when reki, out of no where, wrote me an e-mail saying "he i read your strat on relic and was wondering if you wanted a little training?"
                              heh "um, yes plz thx"
                              took me a while to find him cause we're like 16 hours apart in time zones but i finnally did. he was about to ladder bloodlord and i asked if i could watch. after that game reki asked if i wanted to play a game vs him. this time blood watched. I did my little bomber supp scuttle strat and got owned be his 3/0 bomber swarm. i was like "OMG WTF". so he gave it to me. I finally started building corvettes and i'd have to say that was the biggest moment. he told me that strat would take me to #20 on the ladder no problem and sure enough it did. shot me straight up to #28 from like #130 in one week. but then i ran out of time and didn't get to play much and found myself losing to #60 and stuff so i withdrew. I learned my 3/0 bomber swarm pretty well then completely abandoned it for 1 research change up after a raping by yellowdragon. I loved the smoothness of the strat and still use it about 50% of the time on talas.
                              after that i hit the FL site hard and learned every strat, every map it could teach me. thank you for that site FL's.
                              from there i didn't really get "training" from anyone. I got a couple games in with molle (he's the one that told me you have to have a controller on subj, after i tried my 3/0 bomber swarm on him there, oops) i copied his inter/hvy wall for the next day and it turned out my next game was vs a metho smurf on radial. he showed up at the line with the exact same strat and called me a "theif" lol, that made me feel good.
                              frst is another one that REALLY helped me out.
                              these are the ppl that gave me the most "training". notice they are all FL and they didn't know me back then. that's why i'm here now, they're awesome. because of this I can't help myself but to train more then half the newbies i come across. two of them so far have said thanks btw, one of them being pH14, that's another greatest moment is when he said "your banshee? omg you trained me when i was new, helped me out tons man thx"

hmm, um i gotta edit more into this later i gotta go to work bye

Comment

Working...
                              X